BAD HABIT REPLACEMENT
In today’s show we will be dissecting bad habits and talking about
- How to identity what bad habits are actually holding you back
- The top 47 bad habits that inhibit most people from living their best life
- A sure-fire strategy to get rid of your bad habit
- How to set yourself up with confidence that you won’t go back to your old bad habits.
What one bad habit do you really need to change in your life right now?
THANK YOU TO:
Power of Habit Quotes, by Charles Duhigg
“When a habit emerges, the brain stops fully participating in decision making. It stops working so hard, or diverts focus to other tasks. So unless you deliberately fight a habit – unless you find new routines – the pattern will unfold automatically.”
Cue, behavior, reward.
“To change an old habit, you must address an old craving.”
“For some habits, however, there’s one other ingredient that’s necessary: belief. You need the capacity to believe that things will get better.”
“We know that a habit cannot be eradicated – it must, instead, be replaced.”
“Willpower isn’t just a skill. It’s a muscle, like the muscles in your arms or legs, and it gets tired as it works harder, so there’s less power left over for other things.”
MY THREE STEPS:
IDENTIFYING BAD HABITS:
Top 47 Prevailing Bad habits:
- Nighttime snacking
- Speaking negatively of yourself
- Binge Eating
- Smoking Cigarettes
- Abusing alcohol
- Driving aggressively
- Texting while driving
- Relying too much on processed, packaged foods
- Not drinking enough water
- Going to bed too late
- Watching too much television
- Reality TV
- Distraction from too much social media
- Lack of belief in self
- Distracted listening
- Dwelling on the past
- Obsessing over the future
- Going to the fridge when bored
- Second-guessing yourself
- Broadcasting your life on social media for affirmation from others
- Letting clutter rule your life
- Not exercising enough
- Exercising too much
- Expecting the worst to happen and the worst of others
- Eating too much sugar
- Relying too much on caffeine
- Biting your nails
- Not making your bed
- Not having clear, set goals in your life
- Poor communication with others
- Living with too much noise and distraction
- Trying to do too much at one time
- Fear of being uncomfortable and avoidance of pain
- Chewing too much gum
Ask yourself: What one bad habit do I need to replace?
TAKE ACTION ON TODAY’S EPISODE:
- Select the number one bad habit that you need to change.
- Determine how your life will be different (what’s the reward) with the habit change.
- Sign up for the Emerge Experience if you are looking for a keystone program to help structure your next week as you work towards replacing your habit.
LISTENER OF THE EPISODE:
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your weekly words of encouragement and the inspiration that bestow on each one of us.
Three years ago just before my youngest started Kindergarten we found out his diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome, which is also accompanied by anxiety and OCD for him. Prior to that year I struggled for many years with depression and anxiety of my own. 11 years ago I to struggled with an eating disorder while going through a very tough separation and divorce.
YOU SAVED ME . . . . from myself. I got tired of therapy, it didn’t work or I just didn’t have the time. I found my sanctuary in your podcasts, they encouraged me every day and gave me motivation to stay positive and know I can get through. I was listening to bible teachings during the same time, empowering myself through the good book knowing that God was by my side. You made me stronger, and he was and is there for me. I would find time whether it be hitting the asphalt with my sneakers, or curled up in my comfy chair listening to podcasts and reading encouraging books
I entitled this “Pinky Power” because one of your podcasts one time referenced doing your “Superhero Stance.” Hands on your hips, chest out and feet squared below you. My superhero stance empowers me, and I know this will sound stupid, but I feel like sometimes I’m emanating pink (kind of like a Care Bear stare??) LOL – may be before your time. But on those really tough days, I just pinky power up and tell myself “this too will pass and I can handle it.”
Thanks again and keep up the great work.
With great appreciation because I have my life back,
Be more of who you are. Be you. Be free.
SHOW NOTES: IF YOU WANT TO BE FEATURED AS LISTENER OF THE EPISODE ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SHARE YOUR STORY WITH ME!
Email – trish at trishblackwell.com
Contact on my website – tb.creativewebguy.com
Twitter – @trainerTRISH
Facebook – www.facebook.com/trishblackwellfitness
Instagram – @traintrishtrain