Episode 12 of From the Inside Out Podcast: GOAL SETTING FOR SUCCESS
Goals make us better people when our goals are in line with our purpose, so today we are going to dive deep into PURPOSE before we dig into GOALS.
And, as you reflect upon your purpose, remember, you have no one to impress. All you need to do, all we are CALLED to be ourselves, and no one else. My calling is different than yours, and yours from mine. Don’t ever confuse your calling and your identity in anyone else’s but your own. Effective goal setting starts with comparing yourself against yourself rather than against others!
Don’t live up to other’s expectations, live up to your own expectations.
A man’s dreams are an index to his greatness. -Zadok Rabinwitz
Write your DASH.
Mine = Inspired millions to love themselves and others more.
Create your big picture by setting 5 lifetime goals.
Step 1: Setting Lifetime Goals
8 areas of Wealth:
(2). Physical Health
(5). Circle of Genius
Step 2: Setting Smaller Goals:
Set five-year goals, break them down into goals you need to do each day.
Big five for LIFE.
Big five for 2012.
Big five for 2013.
Step 3: Define Your Five Core Values:
Authenticity (being myself and inspiring others to do the same)
Joie de Vivre (living life to the fullest, no exceptions)
Gratitude (specifically living in gratitude for God’s love)
Passion (pursuing that which animates my soul)
Truth (holding onto the truth in life, fighting the lies, always being honest)
What are yours?
SMART GOALS = Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Bound
Write goals down.
State each goal as a positive statement.
Goal setting is an important method of deciding what you want to achieve in your life. It will help you separate what’s important from what’s irrelevant or a distraction. Goals will help you stay motivated and your goals will build your confidence.
Goal Setting Backwards:
Quarterly Goals (90 Day Wonder Review)
Keep it simple silly, don’t overwhelm yourself; only set goals that are aligned with your vision, your core values and your purpose.
15 Questions to Discover Your Purpose:
(Answer these by writing them down, do them somewhere alone, where you are alone and will be uninterrupted. Give yourself only 60seconds per question, write quickly, and be honest).
1. What makes you smile?
2. What are you favorite things to do in the past? What about now?
3. What activities make you lose track of time?
4. What makes you feel great about yourself?
5. Who inspires you most? Which qualities inspire you, in each person?
6. What are you naturally good at?
7. What do people typically ask you for help in?
8. If you had to teach something, what would you teach?
9. What would you regret not fully doing, being or having in your life?
10. You are now 90 years old, sitting on a rocking chair outside your porch; you can feel the spring breeze gently brushing against your face. You are blissful and happy, and are pleased with the wonderful life you’ve been blessed with. Looking back at your life and all that you’ve achieved an acquired, all the relationships you’ve developed; what matters to you most? List them out.
11. What are you deepest values?
12. What were some challenges, difficulties and hardships you’ve overcome or are in the process of overcoming? How did you do it?
13. What causes do you strongly believe in? Connect with?
14. If you could get a message across to a large group of people, who would those people be? What would your message be?
15. Given your talents, passions and values, how can you use these resources to serve, to help, to contribute to others?
“Writing or reviewing a mission statement changes you because it forces you to think through your priorities deeply, carefully, and to align your behavior with your beliefs.” –Stephen Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective People)
A personal mission statement consists of three parts:
(1). What do I want to do?
(2). Who do I want to help?
(3). What is the result and what value will I create?
Create your own personal mission statement.
(Tina Su, http://thinksimplenow.com)
Do something today that makes you better than yesterday. – Moe Nunez
What do you always dream that you could do with your body?
How long / for how many years do you want your body to be healthy and active?
What would you like to change about your diet and why? Are you proud or embarrassed of the investments that you put into your body? Are you willing to be really honest with yourself and others about your relationship with food? (Do you hide what you eat or don’t eat from others, do you let guilt into your relationship when you know it shouldn’t be there?)
What’s your purpose?
What is the legacy that you are going to leave once you’re dead?
Is your DASH something that you will remember and refer to on a daily basis?
What are your five core values and are you currently aligned with them?
Share these answers with someone you love.
Again, Do something today that makes you better than yesterday. Taking ACTION on your goals is done DAY by DAY. One small step and then another, and it doesn’t matter if you don’t know where to start, start somewhere, start with something.
- Tip of the Episode: 5x5x5 Method (from Vito La Fata)
- Train with Trish 5K (Couch to 5K) iOS App is now on SALE! $0.99, click here for more info!
- Train with Trish 10K (Couch to 10K) iOS App is also now on SALE! Only $0.99 for a 12 week program! Click here for more info and to download!
- Set 5 daily goals for yourself, set aside five minutes in the morning to make these goals written intentions, and spend five minutes at night to reflect upon your day and your progress.
- Confidence Coaching — launching soon — next week I’m hoping to have a working link with info at tb.creativewebguy.com/confidencecoaching and am only taking 10 people for the first session, reserve your spot today.
- Thank you for all of your reviews and emails, YOU all are what keep me going! THANK YOU (!!!!). If you want to support the production of this show (or if you just appreciate the episodes), I would super appreciate the support! Just click on this link and donate whatever you can: http://www.gofundme.com/1cl5rc